Opportunities With Goldwater
Candidates selected for interviews with the Goldwater Institute will be contacted within four weeks of application. We will make every effort to contact all applicants, but because of the number of applications we receive, we cannot guarantee you will be contacted.
The Goldwater Institute is always seeking to add skilled professionals to its growing team. Successful candidates will be strongly committed to the Goldwater Institute’s mission and have demonstrable success in policy development, litigation, management, public relations, fundraising or another area of significant value. In your cover letter, please state clearly what position you would seek to create (or fill) and the value you would bring to the Goldwater Institute. Attach your one-page resume. Materials may be sent via e-mail to Roger Zetah at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please. For current job openings, see those listed below.
Education Policy Research Analyst
The Goldwater Institute is an independent government watchdog supported by people who are committed to expanding free enterprise and liberty. The Institute develops innovative, principled solutions to pressing issues facing the states and enforces constitutionally limited government through litigation. The Institute focuses its work on expanding economic freedom and educational opportunity, bringing transparency to government, and protecting the rights guaranteed to Americans by the U.S. and state constitutions.
Arizona has been at the forefront of market-oriented education reform for fifteen years and many of its cutting-edge policies serve today as a model for states nationwide. Arizona adopted a strong charter school law in 1994, and Arizona has a higher percentage of public school students attending charter schools today than any state in the U.S. Nearly 200,000 students attend charter schools in Arizona. This growth in the charter school sector has created unique challenges, including the maintenance of quality authorizers, monitoring the increase in state regulations, and accurately describing the level of charter school achievement. The Goldwater Institute has shaped many of Arizona’s best education reforms and has shared these ideas with policymakers nationwide. The Institute offers an exceptional opportunity for a results-oriented, motivated individual to help shape education policy in Arizona and nationwide.
The research analyst in education policy will operate out of the Institute’s headquarters in Phoenix.
- Agenda setting for Arizona charter school reform and work with the Institute’s director of education to set the Institute’s education policy agenda
- Research charter school and other education issues and write commentaries
- Collect, analyze and interpret educational, specifically charter school, data
- Track and review legislative proposals with a focus on charter school legislation
- Respond to inquiries from legislative staff and the public at large
- Author and co-author policy studies
- Assist in the convening of panels, symposia and policy-issue luncheons
- Build and manage partnerships within the state to increase public awareness of the challenges to charter schools and recommended solutions
Qualifications and Experience:
- A degree in education policy, public policy or related field plus at least two years of relevant work experience, or equivalent combination of work experience and education
- Excellent persuasive writing and speaking ability
- Strong analytical and research skills
- Ability to work well under deadline pressure
- Salary is commensurate with experience
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work on a team
· Address cover letter and resume and two writing samples, not to exceed 10 pages total, to Roger Zetah, CFO, Goldwater Institute, 500 E. Coronado Road, Phoenix AZ 85004, or by e-mail to email@example.com. No phone calls please. The Goldwater Institute is an equal opportunity employer.
· Goldwater pays a competitive salary and provides excellent benefits: group health insurance, health savings accounts, 403(b) plan with an employer match, long-term disability insurance, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, life insurance, and PTO.
The Phoenix-based Goldwater Institute, hailed by George Will as “America’s most potent advocate of limited government,” seeks a staff attorney in its Scharf-Norton Center for Constitutional Litigation. The Center litigates a wide range of cases, primarily under the Arizona Constitution, seeking to curb government excesses and protect individual rights. The staff attorney will assist in developing and litigating cases, provide litigation support including case filings and investigations, recruit and supervise law clerks, engage in scholarly writing and public speaking, and work as an integral part of the Institute in developing sound public policy ideas.
Qualified candidates will have between 0-3 years’ experience (2014 law school graduates are welcome to apply) and be comfortable working in a fast-paced work environment and have a strong commitment to freedom manifested in writing and/or activism. Candidates must have excellent writing, researching and editing skills and be familiar with the Microsoft Office software suite. Candidates should also have a strong work ethic and a collegial attitude.
Individuals interested in applying for the staff attorney position should submit the following:
At least one legal writing sample
Policy writing sample if available
Answers to questions below
Please answer the following questions:
1. Please briefly describe your political/legal philosophy and the greatest influences in developing it.
2. Briefly describe ways in which you have manifested your interest in public policy, public-interest law, and/or constitutional government.
3. Briefly describe your trial and appellate litigation experience.
Candidates will be considered only if all of the materials described above are submitted. Candidates with more than three years’ experience will not be considered for this opening.
Materials may be sent via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, or via fax to (602) 256-7045. No phone calls please.
Goldwater pays a competitive salary, based on experience, and provides excellent benefits: employer participation in group health insurance, health savings account, 403 (b) employer match, long-term disability insurance, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, life insurance, accrued vacation and sick time, and a voluntary dental plan.
The Goldwater Institute is an equal opportunity employer. The Goldwater Institute was established in 1988 as an independent, non-partisan research and educational organization dedicated to the study of public policy. Through its research and litigation the Institute promotes public policy founded upon the principles of limited government, economic freedom, and individual liberty, www.goldwaterinstitute.org.
The Phoenix-based Goldwater Institute, hailed by George Will as “America's most potent advocate of limited government,” seeks an enthusiastic and detail-oriented Paralegal Assistant.
The candidate will be an integral part of the Goldwater Institute’s litigation work. This is an entry-level position with the first six months focused on file management and conversion of electronic files to a new document management software. The position will grow into a paralegal position under the supervision of the Senior Paralegal.
The successful candidate will assist six attorneys in all aspects of litigation and be responsible for other office duties on an as needed basis (answering phones, arranging travel, copying, etc.).
- A bachelor’s degree and paralegal certification
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Team orientated approach to work
- Excellent writing skills
- Excellent verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Enjoy working in a fast-paced environment
- Understand and embrace the Institute’s mission and public policy objectives
Goldwater pays a competitive salary and provides excellent benefits: employer-paid group health insurance, health savings account, 403(b) plan, long-term disability insurance, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, life insurance, paid time off (PTO days) and a voluntary dental and vision plan.
In addition to your resume, send a personalized cover letter explaining your interest in the Goldwater Institute and this position. You must provide your minimum salary requirements in your cover letter. Address your response to: Roger Zetah, CFO, Goldwater Institute, 500 E. Coronado Road, Phoenix AZ 85004, or by e-mail to email@example.com. No phone calls please. The Goldwater Institute is an equal opportunity employer